Friday, October 17, 2014

Students' Knowledge of UK Dining News

               This will be the third and final part in my analysis of my survey. In the last question of my survey I covered the topic of outsourcing to Aramark. I thought this would be a good point of discussion, especially since it pertains to my narrower research topic. I asked students whether or not they liked the fact that UK outsourced its food services to Aramark.
               Only 4% of the students that I polled said that they thought this new partnership was beneficial. Then 31% said that they did not like Aramark running UK Dining. Much of the opposition has come because of the meal swipe regulations that were brought about this semester. Last of all 65% were indifferent to the whole thing, whether it was because they didn’t care, didn’t see a difference, or didn’t know about it.
What I found surprising is that upon asking this question many of the students asked “What is Aramark?” or “What happened with the dining services?” I guess it didn’t strike me that most students don’t do research on the dining services at their college. I guess because I’ve done the research I know about the contract signed with Aramark this past summer, but if you don’t monitor campus news it’s not really common knowledge.

It is kind of important to know about UK’s outsourcing of dining services. For example if you have a problem with the service you are getting you have to know not to complain to the University because that would not get you anywhere. So this past week when there were people running for Freshmen Senate on the grounds of changing whatever they thought was wrong with the dining program, you would know that there is not much they can do about it and they obviously haven’t done their research. 

No comments:

Post a Comment